Coconut Mawa Gujiya is a crispy, flaky Indian pastry stuffed with coconut and sweetened
What is Gujiya
Gujiya is a sweet
How to make Coconut Mawa Gujiya
Few tips to get a perfect crispy gujiya.
- The melted ghee must be in room temperature.
- The dough should be stiff and smooth.
- After kneading the dough, it must be left for at least 30 minutes by covering with a wet cotton cloth.
- Fry the
gujiyawhile the oil is slightly hot and fry for 13-15 minutes over low to medium flame.
For a healthy version whole wheat flour can also be used instead of all purpose flour. Even these can be baked instead of deep frying.
Here I have used homemade mawa in this and for frying I have used oil. Feel free to use ghee instead of oil if you like.
Earlier I have posted Karanji recipe. You can check that.
Tools recommended to make this
Few more Holi recipes you may also like
- Thandai Recipe
- Shahi Shakkar Pare
- Karanji Recipe
- Coconut Ladoo with Milk
- Rabri Malpua with Jaggery
Coconut Mawa Gujiya | Mawa Gujiya | Gujiya Recipe
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or clarified butter, in room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- water as required
- 1/2 cup mawa (khoya or khoa)
- 1/2 cup grated dried coconut
- 1 tbsp dry roasted semolina (suji)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, or more
- 1 tbsp crushed almonds
- 1 tbsp crushed cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
For sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Few strands of saffron (kesar)
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- Oil or ghee for frying
Making the dough
- In a mixing bowl, mix maida, ghee, and salt with your hand until you get a bread crumb like structure.
- Add little by little water and simultaneously knead a stiff dough. Do not over knead the dough.
- Then rest it for half an hour by covering with a wet cloth.
Making the filling
- Mix all the filling ingredients together with your hand and set aside.
Making the sugar syrup
- Heat water, sugar and saffron together until one string consistency. Add cardamom powder. Cover and set aside.
Making the coconut mawa gujiya
- Knead the dough for a minute and divide it into equal parts and covered with a wet cloth.
- Take a portion, make a ball. Then roll into a round puri like shape, approximately 3 mm thick.
- Take 1 and 1/2 tbsp stuffing mixture and place on one side.
- Wet the edges with water. Flip the other side over it. Then press to seal the edges. Cut off the extra edges or with a fancy cutter or fork or with your hand make a design all along the sealed edges.
- Once done, cover with the wet cloth and set aside. Make all the gujiyas in the same way.
- Heat a pan. Add oil. After 5 minutes or until the oil turns slightly hot add 4-5 dumplings at a time. Make sure fry only a few at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry over low to medium flame for 12-15 minutes. Slowly turn them over in between. Now transfer them to an absorbent paper to get rid of any excess oil.
- Follow the same process and fry all the gujiyas.
- Place the fried gujiyas in the sugar syrup, dipped for a minute. Then transfer them to a plate to dry.
- Coconut mawa gujiyas are ready to serve. Serve hot or cold and store the rest in an airtight container.
This recipe is also contributed to the FB group ‘Healthy Wellthy Cuisines‘ for the theme Gujiya Delights.
Below are the contributions from others for the same.