Palak paratha | Spinach paratha recipe is a healthy, delicious Indian flatbread prepared with spinach and whole wheat flour. A vegan, no onion garlic recipe, can be made in a jiffy.
Spinach is known as Palak in Hindi, is full of nutrients and antioxidants. In fact, this is one of the best ways to incorporate these nutritious greens in our diet. Here are some interesting health benefits of spinach.
- Good for eyes
- Strengthens i
- Treats blood pressure
- Prevents cancer
To make this palak paratha you need only a few ingredients. People even use ghee while frying. Which I have not. White sesame seeds have been used here to enhance the flavor and taste. Here I have made this in round shapes. Go ahead, give it a triangle or square shape if you wish. Start rolling into a round shape, followed by brushing oil and folding to give it your desired shape. Then dust some flour and rolled into a slightly thick paratha. The rolling and folding technique helps in making the parathas soft inside and crisp outside.
This wholesome palak paratha is a perfect recipe to begin your day with or can be enjoyed in lunch. Even you can also pack this in kids tiffin.
Palak paratha tastes best while serving with pickle, curd, and even raita.
You can also serve this palak paratha with these sides.
Palak Paratha | Spinach Paratha Recipe
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 150 grams spinach leaves fresh
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp oil for kneading the dough
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric or haldi
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- oil for brushing
- 1 tsp oil while folding the parathas
Preparation for Palak Paratha
- Wash the spinach leaves properly under running water. Then boil sufficient water in a pan and blanch them for 1 minute.
- Once done add them in cold water and press lightly to remove excess water.
- Blend them into a smooth paste by adding salt, green chili, ginger, and salt.
For making the dough for Palak Paratha
- Mix wheat flour, oil, carom seeds, white sesame seeds, salt, spinach paste together and mix well.
- Add little by little water and knead it into a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and rest it for 10-15 minutes.
For making the Palak Paratha
- Divide the dough into equal medium size portions.
- Take a portion, dust some flour and roll it into a round shape. Brush a little oil and fold from sides and rolled to give it any shape of your choice. Make sure it should not be very thin.
- Heat a tawa or griddle. Place the paratha on the hot tawa and cook it for a minute over medium flame. Flip to the other side. Brush some oil and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes or until you see the small dark spots start to appear. Press in between with a spatula.
- Make all parathas by following the same process.
- Palak paratha is ready to serve! Serve hot with some pickle, curd or some raita or any curry of your choice.