Arhar Dal Palak | Simple Spinach Dal is a simple and nutritious dal mainly made with
For more pumpkin side dish you can check these
- Pumpkin with Green Peas curry
- Spinach with Pumpkin and Potato
- Pumpkin Masala with Chick Peas
- No onion garlic Pumpkin Recipe
Arhar Dal Palak | Simple Spinach Dal
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
For cooking the dal
- 1 cup arhar dal/toor dal/split pigeon peas lentils
- 250 grams palak/spinach
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 chopped onion medium size
- 6-7 chopped garlics
- 1 chopped green chili deseeded
- 1 chopped tomato medium size
- 1 dry red chili optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp red chili powder
Preparing the dal
- Wash arhar dal properly and soak it in water for half an hour.
- Wash and trim the palak leaves properly. Drain excess water and chopped them roughly and set aside.
- Drain water from the dal and pressure cook for 3 whistles over a medium flame by adding with chopped spinach, salt, turmeric powder, 1 tsp oil, and water.
- Once done turn off the flame and let the cooker releases its pressure.
Making Tadka/tempering for Arhar Dal Palak
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start spluttering add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and chopped green chili.
- Stir continuously until the onions turn slightly golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, asafoetida, and dry red chili. Saute for some seconds. Then cover and cook for a minute until tomatoes soften.
- Once done fry for a minute more. Then add red chili powder. Stir to mix and immediately add pressure cooked dal and palak.
- Stir to mix and adjust seasoning.
- Turn off the flame. Arhar dal palak is ready to serve. Serve hot with piping hot rice, roti or paratha.