Dhabas are the roadside restaurants in India, popular for spicy, flavorful foods. What makes them so phenomenal is the use of basic ingredients in their cooking. However,
This aloo matar dhaba style doesn’t require too much time to make. Once the potatoes have been boiled and the spice paste is ready. After that, you just need to saute the masalas and make the curry. I have used fresh green peas here. In case you don’t have fresh green peas you can use frozen peas also. Adjust the spices as per your tastebuds.
Here is how to make aloo matar dhaba style recipe.
You may also like these
Aloo Matar Dhaba Style | Aloo Matar Gravy
INGREDIENTS ( 1 CUP = 250 ML )
- 1 potato peeled and cut into cubes, large size
- 250 grams fresh green peas
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion finely chopped, large size
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder (non spicy)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 3-4 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
For Grind To Paste
- 1 roughly chopped tomato large size
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil the potato cubes in enough water and salt until 80% done.
- Grind all of the ingredients together (written under grind to paste) into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil turns hot add sugar. Once sugar starts to caramelize add bay leaf and finely chopped onion.
- Saute over medium to low flame until onions turn golden.
- Add the spice paste followed by kasuri methi and salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until oil separates.
- Add potatoes and green peas. Saute for another minute or so.
- Add hot water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more or until potatoes and peas are done.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle the garam masala powder. Stir to mix.
- Turn off the flame. Cover and let it rest for few minutes.
- Aloo matar dhaba style is ready to serve. Serve hot with roti, paratha or poori.