Aloo methi recipe/Dhaba style aloo methi ki sabzi – Aloo methi ki sabzi is a simple, healthy dish prepared with potato/aloo and fresh fenugreek leaves/methi.
Winter is the time when fresh methi leaves arrive in the market. The tender aromatic leaves are used in cooking. This is a very popular recipe in North India. Especially in the Punjab region. But with time it gains its popularity in other parts of the country. Now it is must in the menu of any restaurants or roadside dhabas.
The dhaba style aloo methi ki sabzi goes very well with plain rice, jeera rice or even roti.
- 3 medium size, potatoes
- 250 grams fresh methi shak/fenugreek leaves with stalk
- 1 medium size, onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter(optional)
- 1 pinch hing/asafoetida
- 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Washed, peeled and cut the potatoes into small size cubes.
- Pluck the methi/fenugreek leaves. Wash with running water. Then squeeze excess water and set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee together in a pan. Add cumin seeds, followed by dry red chili, hing/asafoetida, and finely chopped garlic.
- Stir for some seconds. Then add chopped onion, chopped green chili. Saute until the onions change color.
- Add potato cubes and turmeric powder.
- Stir well. Cover and cook for 2 minutes over medium to low flame.
- Add salt, cumin and coriander powder. Again cover and cook until 80% done.
- Add methi leaves and stir well. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then keep the flame in high and stir continuously for a minute until the sabzi becomes almost dry.
- Once done, sprinkle some lime juice. Then mix well.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.
Pin it for later!