Wonton soup/Vegan wonton soup recipe is a simple, delicious, classic dish made with Chinese dumplings and broth. An easy and delicious soup recipe from Chinese cuisine. It is also very much loved by people all over the world.
With the onset of winter, here in India, the markets are loaded with fresh, colorful vegetables. This is the best time to indulge in some comforting dish made with seasonal veggies. And nothing is more warming and relaxing than a hot bowl of soup.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- warm water
(N.B – The measuring cup used here 1 cup = 250 ml)
For wonton filling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, cabbage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, beans
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, capsicum
- 1 tablespoon chopped, spring onion
- 2 minced, garlic cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the wonton soup
- 1/2 cup roughly diced carrot, french beans, and celery
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens, for garnishing
To make the wontons
- Take all of the ingredients written under wonton filling together in a bowl. Mix well until all of the ingredients are nicely incorporated and leave aside.
- Take all-purpose flour in a bowl. Add salt and combine well. Add little by little warm water and knead into a smooth dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Then divide the dough into two equal portions. Take a portion, dust some all-purpose flour and rolled into thin round shape.
- Then cut separate equal square like shapes with a knife. Wet the edges of the wrapper by using your finger with water.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling right on the center and fold like a triangle. Press the edges to seal it. Then attach the two identical corners so that they cross each other and press to seal again.
- Follow the same process to fill other wonton wrappers.
To make wonton soup
- Bring the water to boil by adding carrot, french beans, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, oil and boil until the veggies get cooked.
- Strain the broth and once again boil it by adding soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil.
- Once the broth starts boiling, simmer the flame and add the wontons.
- Cook until the wontons get cooked.
- Once done add freshly crushed black pepper and some chopped spring onion greens.
- Serve hot.
This ‘wonton soup recipe’ is contributed to the 56th theme of the group Healthy Wellthy Cuisines. Where the theme is ‘Soupy Tales at HW’. Here are some similar recipes for the theme from my co-bloggers.
- Monchow Soup by Jayashree
- Thukpa by Sasmita
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Rosy
- Bottlegourd Soup by Seema
- Hot and Sour Vegetable Soup with Burnt Garlic by Priya