Vegan Wonton soup | wonton soup recipe is a simple, delicious, classic dish made with Chinese dumplings and broth. One of the popular recipes from Chinese cuisine. It is also very much cherished by people all over the world.
With the arrival of winter, here in India, the markets are packed with fresh, colorful vegetables. This is the best time to indulge in some comforting dish made with seasonal veggies. And nothing is more pleasing than a hot bowl of soup. This soup is completely vegan, made with a lot of veggies.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 pinch salt
- warm water
For wonton filling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, cabbage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, beans
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, capsicum
- 1 tablespoon chopped, spring onion
- 2 minced, garlic cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the wonton soup
- 1/2 cup roughly diced carrot, french beans, and celery
- 4 cups of water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens, for garnishing
To make the wontons
- Combine all of the ingredients written under wonton filling together in a bowl. Mix well until they are nicely incorporated with each other and leave aside.
- Take all-purpose flour in a bowl. Add salt and mix well. Add little by little warm water at a time and knead into a smooth dough. Then cover with a wet cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Take a portion, dust some all-purpose flour and rolled into thin round shape.
- Then with a knife cut this into equals square like shapes(wrappers).
- Take one wrapper and wet the edges by using your finger with water.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling just right on the middle and fold like a triangle. Press the edges to seal it. Then fold the two identical corners. So that they cross each other. Now press to seal them.
- Fill the other wonton wrappers by following the same process.
To make wonton soup
- Boil water by adding carrot, french beans, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, oil and boil until the veggies get cooked.
- Strain the broth and again boil it by adding soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil.
- Once the broth starts to boil, simmer the flame and add the wontons.
- Cook until the wontons get cooked.
- Once done add turn off the flame by adding freshly crushed black pepper and some chopped spring onion greens.
- Serve hot.
This ‘wonton soup recipe’ is contributed to the 56th theme of the group Healthy Wellthy Cuisines. Where the theme is ‘Soupy Tales at HW’. Here are some similar recipes for the theme from others.