Seviyan Kheer/vermicelli kheer/semiya payasam is the easiest version of kheer often cooked in Indian homes. Wherein seviyan/vermicelli is boiled with milk by adding some sugar and flavored with cardamom. A delectable dessert recipe can be prepared within minutes with minimal ingredients. You just need some vermicelli and the rest of the ingredients are easily available in any kitchen. Here I have used a thick variety of vermicelli. You can use whatever is available with you.
- 1-liter milk
- 1 cup Seviyan/Vermicelli
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter
- 2 tablespoon sliced cashews and almonds
- 9-10 raisins
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- Few almonds, cashews, and raisins for garnishing (optional)
- In the meanwhile heat another pan. When the pan is hot enough add ghee. Immediately add cashews, almonds, and raisins. Saute over low to medium flame until color changes. Then transfer them to another plate.
- Add vermicelli to the same pan. Saute continuously until it turns lightly golden brown. If you are using readymade roasted vermicelli. Then you just saute it for 2 minutes over low to medium flame.
- Add the roasted vermicelli to the milk. Add sugar, roasted nuts and raisins, cardamom powder and rose water. Simmer the flame and cook the vermicelli until the milk reduced and the vermicelli cooked. Stir often and meanwhile scrape the sides of the pan.
- When it comes to your desired consistency, turn off the flame.
- Garnish with some roasted nuts and raisins. Serve hot or chilled.