Calcutta Style Chicken Bharta is a delicious yet flavorful recipe. Wherein shredded chicken is cooked in a creamy, aromatic semi thick gravy and then served with a boiled egg on top. The garnishing with boiled egg even makes this recipe more appealing to look.
This chicken bharta goes best with paratha and naan. You can also pair it with roti, phulka or some flavored rice or the way you want to.
Some more nonveg curries you may also like
For preparing the chicken
- 500 grams boneless chicken breast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Water 2 cups
For masala paste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 8-9 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 9-10 cashew nuts
For chicken bharta
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 lungs
- 1 cinnamon stick approx 3 inch
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 slit green chili
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 boiled egg cut into 4 halves
HOW TO MAKE CALCUTTA STYLE CHICKEN BHARTA
- Boil the boneless chicken breast by adding bay leaves, black pepper, salt, and water.
- Once done, let this cooldown. Discard the bay leaves and separate the stalk from the chicken.
- Set aside the chicken stalk for later use and shred the boiled chicken breast into thin strips and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil becomes hot enough add chopped onion and saute for a minute or so.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for some seconds.
- Now add chopped tomato and cashew nuts. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Turn of the flame. Replace them on a plate to stop the cooking process and let it cools down.
- Now grind it to a smooth paste without adding extra water.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Once the oil turns slightly hot add cardamoms, cinnamon, and cloves. Saute for some seconds.
- Add kashmiri chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute lightly.
- Add the masala paste, coriander powder, kasuri methi, and salt. Stir for a minute.
- Simmer the flame. Add beaten yogurt and stir for some seconds.
- Add the chicken stalk. Cover and cook for 3 minutes over low to medium flame.
- Add the shredded chicken strips. Stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from flame. Serve hot by garnishing the boiled egg halves on top.