Chingudi Besara/Prawn with mustard curry is a simple yet delicious prawn curry made with mustard paste. Though there are many versions of this recipe. But the version which I am presenting today is generally cooked in Odia’s homes. They call it ‘Chingudi Besara’. I always love this curry cooked by my mother. I have twisted it slightly like I always do ☺ This is an absolutely delicious and healthy side dish for the prawn lovers. I have explained the recipe in step by step. Follow each step to get the best result. Ingredients which I have used are mentioned below.
- 500 grams of prawns
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 thinly sliced onion, medium size
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 2 big size tomato cut into slices
- 1-inch size dry mango (Ambula) or 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 6 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
For masala paste
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 dry red chili deseeded
- Properly clean and devein the prawns. Marinate with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Soak deseeded dry red chili, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds together in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Drain it and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and make a fine smooth paste. You can add 1-2 tablespoons water but not much.
- Heat a pan/ kadhai. Add oil. When oil becomes hot enough add marinated prawns. Fry them for some seconds but not much. Then take them out from the oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil add sliced onions. Fry for 1 minute in medium to low flame.
- Now at this point add curry leaves. Fry for another minute or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add remaining turmeric powder and the masala paste. Stir for a minute or two in low flame. Or until oil separates.
- Add prawns and tomato slices. Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1.5 cups of water. Do not add too much water or it will spoil the taste. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- In between add approx 1-inch size dry mango or 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder.
- The thickness of the curry is not too thick or too thin.