Bhetki fish Kalia with potato/Bhetki machher Kalia is an age–old Bengali recipe. It is a delicacy in Bengal. Bhetki fish is also known as barramundi or Asian seabass. This is a very delicious recipe, which normally serves with piping hot steamed rice. Try this recipe the way I did you are going to love this. Ingredients required for this dish are mentioned below.
- 4 pieces Bhetki/Barramundi/Asian Seabass
- 1 potato cut into long wedges
- 2 tablespoons onion paste
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seed paste/powder
- 2 tablespoons grated tomato
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick approx.2 cm long
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- Take the fish pieces in a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Now rub them well on both side of the fish pieces with the help of your hand. Cover and leave it for 1/2 an hour.
- Now heat mustard oil in a pan. Add fish pieces. Fry them in medium flame till each side becomes slightly golden brown. Remove the fish from the pan. Remember not to over fry them.
- Then in the same oil add sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and green cardamom. Stir for few seconds. Add the potato wedges and fry for a minute or two in medium flame.
- Now add onion paste and fry with the potato for 2 minutes. Add ginger-garlic and cumin paste and fry for another 1-2 minutes. Add grated tomato and at this point add salt, remaining turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Stir for 2 minutes. Add 1/4th cup water and stir till oil separates.
- Add remaining water and fried fish pieces. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Lastly, add ghee/clarified butter. Then serve.
If you like this recipe or have tried it, share your experience with me here in a comment or you can share your recipe snap with me on Facebook. Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. I would love to hear from you 🙂