Baingan Bharta is a simple and delicious side dish. Where roasted, mashed brinjal or eggplant or aubergine is cooked with some masalas and tomatoes. This dish is originated from the Punjab region. But now it is popular across the world. Traditionally it serves with roti or paratha but we, at home love it with rice too. Ingredients to make this recipe are mentioned below.
- 1 brinjal big size ( light and seedless )
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 6-7 finely grated garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch finely grated ginger
- 2 finely chopped medium size tomatoes
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2-3 tablespoons mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Make small cuts on the brinjal with a knife and rub a few drops of oil over it. It will make easier to peel off the skin. Turn on the gas stove. Place the brinjal right over the flame. Just cook until the skin is charred or black. It will infuse the eggplant a wonderful smoky flavor. Make sure the brinjal is cooked evenly from all the sides. Then let it cool down.
- Peel the charred skin. Mash it with a fork.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. Once the oil turns hot enough add chopped onion. Stir until onion becomes translucent. Add grated ginger, and garlic together. Stir 1-2 minutes or until the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilies, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Stir for some seconds.
- Add kasuri methi and stir well. Cover the lid and cook on low flame for 6-7 minutes or until oil separates. Stir in between. If needed sprinkle some water.
- Add mashed brinjal to the masala. Stir for some seconds. Add chopped coriander and cook it for 4-5 minutes more on medium flame.
- Serve hot by garnishing some coriander leaves.