Amla/Indian gooseberry/Amlaki is very popular for its health benefits.The tree is best known for its succulent fruit. which is full of vitamin C and iron. This tree is native to India and Nepal. For this
reason, it is referred to as the Indian Gooseberry.The word amla is derived from the Sanskrit word “amlaki”, which means “sustainer” or” prosperity”. All parts of this plant are used in various Ayurvedic/Unani medicines. So today my recipe is Sweet and Spicy Amla chutney. Which is very scrumptious and easy to make. Below are the ingredients required to make this recipe.
You may like this
100 grams amla/Indian gooseberry
100 grams sugar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons refined oil
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder.
1 teaspoon panch phoran( Five spices mixture )+1/2 teaspoon panch phoran
1 dry red chili
A pinch of hing/ asafoetida
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add dry broken red chili. Then add panch phoran . Let them crackle. Add hing/asafoetida. Now add water. Let the water boil in high heat. Then add amla, turmeric powder and salt. lower the heat. Cover and cook till the amlas become soft.
- Now mash the amlas with the help of a masher or spatula and remove the seeds.
- Add sugar and mix it properly. Let it cook till it becomes thick and little bit sticky.
- In the meanwhile dry roast the panch phoran and make a coarse powder.
- Now add the coarse panch phoran to the amla. Mix well.
- Sweet amla chutney is now ready to serve. You can store it in the refrigerator for 12 to 15 days.