Pumpkin is a regular vegetable in Indian homes. This is a wonderful recipe which is simple, flavorful yet delicious. It can be eaten as a side dish. It goes well with Poori, Paratha or with Basmati rice. Red
pumpkin is in season now. Here I have used red pumpkin.I have not used any onion or garlic. So it can be taken by those who are doing any kind of fasting( vrat ). Here I have used panch phoran/panch photona, a blend of five spices, commonly used in Eastern India. It consists of following seeds: Cumin, Brown Mustard, Fenugreek, Nigella, and Fennel. Try this recipe the way I did and you are going to love this.
2 cups pumpkin cut in cubes
1 slit green chili
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
4 tablespoons of refined oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon panch phoran (mixture of five spices)
A pinch of asafoetida ( Hing )
2 tablespoons grated coconut for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and panch phoran. Let the panch phoron sizzle. Then add asafoetida/hing. Now add pumpkin cubes and green chili. Stir for a minute
- Add coriander powder and red chili powder. Stir for some seconds.
- Now add salt and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook till the pumpkin cooked. Check-in between.
- Now open the lid and keep it on the flame for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Now Garnish with grated coconut and serve.