Chicken Kassa is a very popular chicken dish of Odisha and West Bengal in India. In this recipe,
chicken is cooked with a spicy thick gravy. The specialty of this recipe is that the chicken is cooked
in its own juice. With the addition of a very minimum amount of water. You can have this chicken with piping hot rice, roti, chapati or paratha. Ingredients which are needed to prepare this delicious juicy chicken are mentioned below.
You may also like these
500 gms of chicken with bone ( leg piece )
2 large onion chopped finely
1/2 medium size tomato grated
2 tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 slit green chili
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons mustard oil
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and chopped onion. Stir it until onion becomes golden brown. Now add turmeric and chili powder and saute for some seconds. Mix in ginger-garlic paste and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Now add 2 tablespoons of water and stir it for another minute.
- Add grated tomato, slit green chili and salt; Cook till the oil separates. Now add garam masala powder, kasuri methi, cumin powder, and coriander powder; Mix well. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of water and cover the lid and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add chicken pieces; Saute for 2 min on medium heat.
- Then cover the lid. Cook the chicken on medium to low flame till it is cooked. Stir in between. If needed add 1-2 tablespoons of water in between. But not much.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.
- Here is the most delicious chicken kassa is ready to serve.