Tomato rice / Tomato pulao is easy to make recipe. Which is very healthy and delicious. Here I have used Basmati rice. But it can be made with any regular rice too. Serve it hot with papad, curd or raita. It could also be good for lunch box. Either way, it just tastes great.
- 1 cup cooked Basmati rice
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes (medium size)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches approx)
- 7-8 roughly chopped curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 slitted green chili
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro/ coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
(N.B. At times of cooking rice, mix a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of oil)
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan; add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and hing; saute over medium heat until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add chopped onion, curry leaves, and green chilies; saute for a few minutes. Add grated ginger and turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Saute for a minute. Then cover the lid and cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now saute the tomato masala till it leaves oil.
- Add rice to the masala and mix it gently. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix gently.
- Serve hot with papad.
(N.B. No extra water)