Garam masala powder is an Indian spice mix powder. A very essential ingredient in Indian cooking. A mixture of some aromatic spices which are slightly roasted and blended into a smooth powder. It has a pungent smell. It is easy to make. You can make in large quantity and keep it in an airtight container. But I will suggest dishes like chicken chaap or biriyani or any special recipe do it fresh. Ingredients which I have used are the basics of this recipe. You can add more or less as per your requirement.
1. 30-35 cloves
2. 30-35 green cardamoms
3. 2 black cardamoms
4. 4-5 sticks of cinnamon ( approx 2 inches )
5. 2 bay leaves
6. 1/2 nutmeg
7. 1-star anise
8. 1 mace
9. 1 tbsp coriander seed
10. 1 tbsp cumin seed
11. 1 tsp peppercorns
12. 1 tsp fennel seed
- Heat a skillet/tawa. Once the skillet turns hot, reduce the flame to low and add the top eight ingredients together into the hot skillet. Dry roast them until you get a nice aroma.
- Now transfer them to a plate.
- In the same skillet, dry roast the remaining four ingredients together over a low flame till you get a nice aroma.
- Now transfer them to the same plate and allow them to cool.
- Grind all of the dry roasted spices together to a fine powder.
- Then store the masala in an airtight container and use as required.
Watch the video to know how exactly I did it.