Chicken Tikka is very popular across the world. This is one of my favorite recipes. It is generally served with and some sliced onion rings. The aromatic flavor and the tender, juicy taste which comes from yogurt and the mixture of spices makes it so unique. The secret behind the taste lies in the marination and resting time after the marination. The secret behind the taste lies in the marination and resting time after the marination.
I’ll suggest after marination leave it in the refrigerator for at least 6 to 7 hours or an overnight to get soft and tender chicken tikkas. Though color can be used. But I have not used any color here. Rather I have used Kashmiri red chili powder to get this vibrant color. Try this recipe the way I did you and your guest will love this.
- 300 grams boneless chicken cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp ginger n garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder ( optional)
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp homemade garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 cup curd
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tsp carom seed ( ajwain seed )
- 1 tsp butter /ghee
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp chat masala powder
- 1 piece of charcoal
- For the first marination, add salt, lime juice, ginger n garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder to the chicken. Mix it properly with the help of your hand. Then set it aside and leave it for 1/2 an hour.
- For the second marination, heat a pan add a little bit of cooking oil . Then add the carom seeds ( ajwain ) and gram flour. Fry it for 1 to 2 minutes on low flame till you get the aroma but careful don’t burn the gram flour. Turn off the gas and Set it aside. Now take a bowl add curd, Kashmiri red chili powder,Garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black salt, mustard oil n the gram flour carom seed mixture. Mix it properly till it becomes smooth. Add chicken and again give it a good mix.
- Now cover and keep it in the fridge for an overnight.
- Heat a nonstick pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon ghee/butter and 1/2 teaspoon oil.
- Carefully place one by one chicken pieces over the pan. Cover the lid. Then cook it on a medium to low flame for 7 to 10 min or till it becomes golden brown.
- Open the lid. Carefully turn each piece to the other side. Again cover and cook until these become slightly brown in color.
- Turn off the flame.
For the smokey flavor
- Put a small bowl over the chicken.
- Heat a charcoal over the flame till it becomes red. Then put it in the bowl. Add 1/2 tsp butter/ghee over it. Then immediately cover the lid. Leave it there for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now the tender, juicy, smokey flavored chicken tikka is ready to serve. Sprinkle some chat masala over it. Then serve hot with green chutney and some sliced onion rings.
Watch the video to know how exactly I did this.